Sports Premium Funding
Sports funding was introduced by the Government in September 2013 to improve the provision of P.E and sport in primary schools. The Government initially promised two years of school sport funding, however, following a recent announcement by George Osborne, funding has been secured for another year. The funding is ring-fenced and can, therefore, only be spent on improving sports provision.
At Portobello, we aim to improve achievement and whole school improvement. We will ensure that the funding is used effectively to impact on physical education, school sport and the health and well-being of our children.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
The following document outlines our proposal/action plan for using the Sports Premium funding, in order to get maximum impact.