Primary School Admissions
When to start School
Parents are required to send their child to school no later than the beginning of the school year (i.e. September) in which they become five years old. This means that all children can spend the same length of time in primary schools, irrespective of their date of birth.
The birth dates of children admitted into Reception in September 2023 are between 1 September 2018 and 31st August 2019.
- we recommend you apply to 3 schools. Applying for only 1 school does not improve you change of gaining a place at this school
- your child's attendance at a school or private nursery does not guarantee or improve your chances of gaining a place at your chosen school.
- if you rank a school outside Gateshead as one of your preferences, you must look at the admission policy for that school before submitting your application
- you must apply by 15 January 2024
Reception and junior admissions timeline
|8 September 2023
|Online system opens for parents to apply
|15 January 2024
|Closing date for submitting applications
|16 April 2024
|Offer letters and emails sent to parents
|3 May 2024
|Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list
For more information, view our questions about the primary school admissions process.
If you have any queries regarding the admission process, please contact the School Admissions Team on: 0191 433 2775 or 433 2756.
The School Admissions Team can be contacted at the address/contact numbers below:
Education Support Service
School Admissions Team
Floor 2, Civic Centre, Gateshead, NE8 1HH
Telephone: 0191 433 2756 / 0191 433 2757
Parents with children of statutory school age who either
- move into Gateshead and need a school place,
- or are resident in Gateshead and wish to change their child's school to another Gateshead school
Please contact the Education Support Team on the below:
T: 0191 433 8589
Applying for a school place if you are a family arriving from Ukraine
To find out more, visit the Gov.uk website.
Please contact email@example.com or 0191 433 8589 if you have any further questions with regards to admission to schools.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have or give a tour of the school, please contact Mrs J Lister our School Business Manager on 0191 4104571 or send an email to school: firstname.lastname@example.org